Saturday, April 25, 2015

NaPoWriMo 4/25

I look little like my passport, now
Piercings in and out
Freckles gone,
But I.have three New England generations to convince them
and look, they even give me options in case I don't want the history associated with it.

When I tell a little lie at customs, no one discovers it. 

At the border, the woman with a subcontinental accent huffs out,
mutters "they don't know anything, I tell you," a grammatically correct giveaway. 

Her moisturized, manicured hands are no help;
gruff (to her) but friendly (to me) agents do not see the book in her purse,
an ordinary housewife book,
a children-flew-the-nest book,
a too-thick-to-be-found-in-a-drugstore book.
A planning-ahead, planning-to-return book. 
Flowering cover, green font,
everything but Black and Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment